By the virtue and vice of being Selfish

I am selfish. I do not feel any shame to admit this virtue. I agree with the concept proposed by Ayn Rand in Fountainhead. To seek happiness for one's self, to be self respecting, to be self supporting, to not to sacrifice my self, at the cost of my happiness, to others and never to allow others to sacrifice their self for my cause, is what being selfish means to me.

Yes, I am selfish. And when I help others by going out of my way, I do that for my own selfish reasons. The reasons range from feeling a sense of happiness to feeling a sense of superiority. But I do have my own reasons for my altruism. And hence even my altruism has that hint of selfishness.

Yes, I condone selfishness. Each individual must be selfish on the definition of Ayn Rand's for our society to advance. And hence, I do not consider this virtue of selfishness as a vice. To think for one's self is, in all its worldly definition, the most selfless act.

So what is your take on the word selfish? I will be more than happy if you do not agree with me and show me a different angle to it. Please feel free to comment.
Thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular Posts