Skip to main content

God's will vs. Free will

Here is a scene. The girl in our play is Akansha who is a medical aspirant. And then comes the result and then comes the gloominess. She has a firm belief in destiny. And the destiny can only be changed by the god's will, is her motivation. Yes she knows that one has to work hard, like a bull and that person will have his fair share of success provided  she  follows the god's words to her last action. She did everything right. Studied 10 hours a day, prayed 30 minutes a day, took days of fast, listened to bhakti songs,  prayed another 30 minutes before going to bed. But this gloominess over her face means she is fighting her inner battle. She is having trouble dealing with the fact that god has betrayed her. She did everything right and yet she couldn't crack that exam. Do you know how it feels to have one's faith shattered? It feels like dying, feels like suffocating, feels like claustrophobic.

Definitely she did something wrong. She should have studied 12 hours a day, should have kept fast for more than 10 days a month, should have prayed 2 hours a day. Oh wait! if she can study for 12 hours a day, she should devote the other 12 hours to God. Ah! No. Can you avoid god during your studies? It would be a blasphemy. It's written in the holy book how forgetting one's god even for a second is a sin. So she decided to devote 24 hours to god and somehow would try to study amidst her pray.

Thus enters her uncle. A professor of Physics in a university. His interest in physics came early when he discovered the magic behind magnets. To an ignorant person, the magnets would have been a miracle of god. Only god can perform such miracles, he has an invisible hand. But that is so sad, cause I have discovered the science behind it and if I can explain this, I can explain all the phenonmenons. I can give answers to all the questions which have been given by the priests and tantriks till now.Thought he.

Uncle: Why are you crying, Beta. So what if you didn't fair enough this time. If medical is what interests you then learn from your mistakes and start preparing again. Be a braveheart my child.

Akansha: I have learned my mistake. I didn't submit my time to god and he has punished me so. My god fulfils my dreams. You know, there is a formula to it. There is a time dependent variable called success which is proportional to the number of hours you pray to God. I used to pray just 1 hour a day and look at my result. It is not that bad, just I haven't gotten a good rank. Just think of my success if I start praying 24 hours a day!

Uncle: Oh! Well that's a good theory to assuage your mind and overcome the apparent disappointment. It is certainly uplifting as well. I have a similar theory. Care to listen?

Akansha: Now uncle! Why wouldn't I listen. A similar theory? Do tell me.

Uncle: cough, cough! Ok so what I am proposing is simple. I am not asking you to stop believing in God but asking you to believe in the principle of causality.

Akansha: What's causality?

Uncle: It is in brief cause and effect. As you sow so shall you reap. So you think you can sow seeds of faith in god and you will reap a good result in your medical exam.

Akansha: hmm

Uncle: hmm.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Light knows Independence

"Baba" called Asmaan to his father, "When are they giving me the books. I miss my studies already"
His father had a small shop of second hand books. Books don't die, he believed. They don't have a shelf life. People die. They die of poverty - hunger, malnutrition, illiteracy, unemployment, politics and flood. But books don't.
But he was proved wrong when flood stormed, like an unwarranted storm, a storm which gulped down everything like an ugly demon never satisfied of preying. His tiny heart seemed to miss those blotted ink marks of yellowing pages. The roaring water not only drowned his abode but also his heart which kindled a dream to soar high, higher than the cupid's arrow for he had heard his devotion to books attest - "the sky is the limit".
Ironically, the only thing he could look upto through the shabby refuge camp was a gloomy sky which held no promises. But he held on to the promises which comes like the same deluge inundating…

Kafka, the monsters and the nameless.

Your ticket has been confirmed. Seat no. 13W. Have a safe and a happy journey.
A part of the confirmation mail screamed at me. Why do they even attempt at writing the same "safe and happy journey" message to everyone. What is so happy about a journey, I thought.
My bus was meant to depart at 5 a.m from the terminal. I woke up much earlier than that. When you have ghosts of past haunting your dreams, the morning becomes the end of your darkness. The mind fears those monsters with such trepidations that the cobwebs of the nightmares have to be broken by the dawn of new rays, new hopes and new aspirations.
From the corner of my mind I can see those monsters seeking the darkness that I have been trying to thwart. "Thou shall not find light", they seem to say even in the midst of the morning light. Going to a new place would help me find my light, I thought and so did the doctor, with a bag full of anti darkness pills, concur.
It didn't take me time to pack my ba…

Dog of cynicism

Why would anyone live in a clay barrel, when the riches were presented as an option to him? Why would anyone look around for a man, with a candle in a broad daylight when all he got were spineless morons? Why would anyone reject societal norms and beliefs while remaining in the midst of the society? Philosophy suits well to everybody but only when it is limited to theories ornamented with texts. But then the society got a man who practised philosophy but of a different kind. The kind that made the same man a mere dog or a cynic.
The author, Tomichan Matheikel, of the book The Nomad Learns Morality in one of his short stories narrated the life events of that man, Diogenes. 

Now the definition of cynicism that perpetuates today, albeit negatively, is somewhat different than what Diogenes practised. Cynicism, today, is considered synonymous to pessimism and misanthropy. But he never claimed that human beings are unworthy, although his actions did portray the same to the society. The very so…

Miss bookmark and Mr. book: a prologue to a love story

Chapter 1:

Wow! look at me. All pink and glossy. Ah! my wonderful curves, all in proper places. And... And wait a minute. Who is this dork of a book by my side? Look at his ugly leather cover. Yuck. And what the hell is this smell?. Dusky wooden old plagued. I wonder who will ever gonna read it. Huh!

OH NO! Wait. wait. Don't pick me up with this ugly book. Please! NO No no no....

"Here is your book with your favorite pink bookmark, ma'm. Have a good read"

Chapter 2:

"Hello mister! Would you be kind enough to tell me what is inside of you that has led you to get picked with a beauty like me"

"Ma'm. I have been listening to your yowls for the past half an hour. Let me tell you one thing. I am the last book of a famous love story. That smell that you have been complaining about is what makes me attractive. But it's my pages that have all the charms. No one has ever beaten a love story so profound like that of my insides."

"Is it so?  Will the l…

Ma rulzzz !!!

I have a firm belief that communication is an engagement of both the listener and the speaker in a clear, concised and convenient form, where the roles of the speaker and listener should be interchanged in accordance to the context of the conversation and it needs to occur naturally without anyone imposing the other to remain in his/her previous role.
Communication uses tools which forms the basis of language. A language, just like evolution of species, has been evolved through a myriad of civilizations right from the beginning of early man.
Communication undoubtedly has been the only sole means for the survival of homo sapiens on a planet which doesn't treat anyone with niceties. Nature is cruel to everyone and to not communicate with others leads to the natural regression towards extinction.
We have seen communication in the form of cave paintings which shows the human tendency to record events for the present community of human beings and also for the posterity.
But as the civ…

A dead clock

Where did my voice fall? Cobwebs on the wall With a dead clock and  lizards crawl Staring at me, making me so small So small!
The dawns and the dusks The days and nights in this dust Looking for my voice, used to trust Looked at my mind, oh a rust!

Waiting for you here
Amidst my layers, within my fear
Steps away from my door, you there?
You there?

Where did my voice go?
A dead clock or is it slow?
Oh! I feel so low
Feel so low

The sutradhar of motion and happiness

One thing that I can say for certain is that people, wherever you put them, will always find a place favorite to them. A place where they can be themselves without having to wear a mask! Where they become who they are and not who they want themselves to be.

This story or you can say a scene is about that one place.

After a whole lot of soul searching, or to be precise a place to burn their lungs, the two idealistic young boys in their twenties had finally found a perfect place to vent out their frustrations through small, weak, half formed, half invisible, half desperate, half ambitious rings of smokes.

A buffoon can find himself a better place to smoke inside a construction site, but these two gentlemen had a tobacco head - all fidgety, moronic, filmy and inglorious bastards. After a week long search for a place to inconspicuously produce nicotine laced carbon monoxide, they found their safe haven - the back side of their construction office, a makeshift porta cabin.

In the first da…

I take back but fuck off

Yeah You see Not always that I write like this But then people come And then throw their piss And hence, happens this Witness how they broke my bliss Do read this piece, please At least you will not miss Won't dismiss the abyss Will come to know the gist And why I wrote like this
Okay here I go Silence please
It has been just a week New people, new surrounding But I came to know the hidings Where they uncoil their black wings Was suffocating to say the least Gentle meek people hiding their beast Bitching kings and queens Pretended to be priests But creepily they released Guns of mockery and silent beasts Little did I know that they like to feast On the honesty of beings Wrapping their black ugly wings On the pains and sufferings Of the miserable beings Things afflicting me Do surface on the skin with crease Pretententious not at least I said what I say best to those priests Hoping to seek honesty But they released those beasts To fleece my skin with crease All the time kept on pre…

Who is at fault?

How do you win an election? By becoming everybody? I wish! By becoming everything? Ask the dalits! By breaking a fundamental law of physics? By breaking the backbone of Newton? By misusing Einstein's E=mc^2? By inflating length, 1 inch is equal to 56 inch? By equating the time, 2002 is equal to 2014 is equal to 2019?

You can never break a law of physics, can you? An object in motion will continue to be in motion until and unless an external force is applied to it.

You find yourself solving a question on Physics.

1(a). Given that a train is in motion with believers in Orange travelling at a speed of 80 km/hr, how much force would the believers in Green make to stop that train? [10 marks]

1(b). Also show that Newton's third law is valid in such situation. [5 marks]

[Assume realistic mass of the train and unrealistic forces of the system in control]

Answer:

Take the speed of the train and multiply it with the mass of the train- Final momentum. Assume an initial speed of the trai…

A phony catcher in the adulthood

One thing I hate is to do weekly vegetable shopping. I hate going to any place with school of people roaming like vegetable seeking zombies on a big area with makeshift tents of vegetable shops. I hate bargaining as well. Yes, I am full of hatred! But that hatred is a transient affair and when I get isolated from them, I return to my usual calm lackadaisical reticence.

The vegetable market I am talking about was situated on the outskirt of our Institute where I was working as a contractual buffoon. I stayed with a friend of mine in a quarter allotted by that institute. I would be okay most of the time with him, as a roommate. I am always okay with one or two person at a time, not thousands of people! So, I mostly remained okay with him except for the D day! the vegetable shopping day!

What he would do, he would come to my table and would put the stupid shopping bag atop it. That used to be the damn sign for me to move my lazy back off the table and accompany him to the market. He is …