Being Earnest and an Old man!

Life is a big sea and we are sailing across it on a skiff, our own little skiff, to become an old man with the passage of time!

But can we all become the old man of Ernest Hemmingway's book "The Old Man and the Sea"? 

A man can be destroyed but not defeated, says the old man, the man who is dispossessed of his youthful strength, who is wrinkled to the last skin, who is alone on the treacherous sea and who fights off the multitudes of sharks that come to loot his big catch. Can we all become that very same man in our journey?

The story begins with the old man being shown as unlucky in catching any fish for a long streak of 84 days. So unlucky was he, that his only companion, a boy, is asked by his parents to go in another boat. Yet, the old man tries everyday to catch fish! In spite of people calling him a salao ( a worst form of unlucky!)

To say more about the book would only purloin and plunder the magic of words that Mr. Ernest paints on the canvas of this book. The book is nothing short of a masterpiece which represents every man's journey through struggles and failures and endless grief but at the same time shows the undaunting confidence a man can have instead to build a resilience against any Sturm and Drang!

This is my first book by the author and I am sure that it can never be the last book, by him, that I would be reading. I want to grow old by reading books by such authors. That's the only skiff I would want to have to sail through this big, treacherous and whimsical sea.



Comments

  1. Really nicely written review...
    Even this is book with few pages... Words are like ocean and we feel like small fish in that ocean....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Vishal, the book with that few pages but that profound world of pain, agony, dreams, adventures, failures, hopes and aspirations shows the beauty of minimalistic writing that Hemmingway pens. Indeed words are like ocean:)

      Delete
  2. Ah, sounds absolutely lovely! I am already fascinated by this old man and his 'adventures' in the ocean of life. Would love to pick this one. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will definitely love it. The old man resonates with the journey we take in this life, as a traveler.

      Delete
    2. Very good review and thoughts around the character! I am gonna pick up the book.

      Delete
    3. The book transcends any review that can be written on it; a book to cherish for a lifetime. Thanks Hiral :)

      Delete
  3. I read this book a while ago and it easily became one of my favourites. I love the use of metaphors in the entire book, readers can interpret it as they like. The beauty of stories :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the beauty of art! Stories, paintings, dance, songs leave an audience a gift of personal interpretation. Interpretations make such forms a possession, a cherished one!

      Delete
  4. Looks like an inspiring book! :-) And got very close to you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A classic which can inspire generations of people.
      Thanks Prakash, I have also got you on my radar :)

      Delete
    2. I will look out. :-)

      He he.. I am still yet to get better! Trying! :-P

      Delete
  5. Hemingway's perfectionism is contagious. You are gripped, it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes :) there are only a few books which gives one a pleasant hangover. Even as of now I am in that hangover and haven't been able to pick up a new book, which I am afraid, if I do, would distort that pleasant feeling.

      Delete
  6. You have captured the soul of the book in a few words. You will never tire out reading Hemingway. Some of his books (and stories) will haunt you long after you have read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would happily love to be haunted by such books. Hemmingway has found me or the other way round, but I am never going to leave the author, ever. Thanks Umashankar :)

      Delete
  7. I always find this book inspiring! The old man's perseverance and patience....the mellifluous flow of words.... the storyline itself... all have made the book one of the classics.

    The review is nicely written. I would also like to recommend you Hemingway's "For Whom the Bell Tolls"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maniparna, the book is definitely on my reading list and will take it up within this month.

      I have fallen in love with the author:)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts